Sunday, January 3, 2016

Just a Cat

He’s just a cat -- a used cat at that.

He was a year old when I adopted him from the local humane society in November 2002.

I don’t know anything about his history. I think they give people some information – whether a cat was rescued from homelessness or an evil family. If they did give me a rap sheet, I didn’t read it. I picked him out because he seemed the most interesting, the most interested in what was going on, in me. He seemed playful but not vicious.

The humane society named him Guinness, a name I kept. His coloring, including the white ‘foam’ on his chin, closely resembled that venerable beverage. After I accumulated some necessary cat supplies and came back to pick him up, I was persuaded to adopt a second cat, Herbie. I kept that name too although there seemed no reason for it. Later, after I came to know him, it became apparent that he was ‘Herbie, the Love Cat’ – as friendly and affectionate as any cat I have ever known.

Guinness on the other hand is a neurotic, non-sociable animal who has loved only me. And I think I’m the only one who has ever loved him. One of the things about him that delights me is the way he is always making up games. He ‘fetches’ little cloth balls. When I toss them up my stairs, he bats them back. We’ll play this form of catch almost every evening. He is such a good buddy. Always supervising whatever I do. And, although he’s no love cat, he does snuggle extremely well – when I’m reading or working at the computer or trying to sleep.

So when he became so obviously sick on Dec. 29, I took him in to the vets. He was so weak, he could hardly lift his head. We’ve been back to the vet on the 30th, and 31st and 2nd. We will go back tomorrow morning. He’s a little better, moving more, supervising me more. I still can’t get him to eat his regular food but at least he’s eating.

He’s been my good buddy for 13 years.

Keep your fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Mim. I'm right there with you. Thank you.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great history. Best wishes to Guinness

    ReplyDelete